Wednesday, August 1, 2012

On the Bus


While there is much that is exciting in the work of Gender Studies/Social Activism, there is also, at times, a sadness at injustices in the past, and the appraisal of hard work before us. Studying women’s spirituality and the feminine divine refreshed my soul, mind, and body. To see women, and by extension the earth, as beautiful and strong was something that I hadn’t realized that I was so thirsting for until it was laid before me. I found the archetypes of the feminine divine -- from the Oshun to Isis, from Brigid to Kuan Yin -- not only fascinating, but energizing and inspiring. There are now times when I see a woman running for a bus, guiding a child across the street, reading a book, feeding the pigeons -- and I see a goddess.
Through the study of Social Justice, I discovered that feminism is for everybody, because women’s voices, concerns, dreams, schemes, needs, and lives are so important. I learned to see, well, yes, the passion, but also the varied richness of sex, gender, identity, and community; to look with interest at black and white -- and every other shade; to really explore notions of power and privilege.
Now what? The work. This entails becoming an engaged individual. A good listener. A fine friend. A  world citizen.
It is the work of a lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment